electrical hazards

Tips for Avoiding Electrical Harm at Home

Electricity is a central part of our homes and lives. It’s a modern technology that we often take for granted but that has an impact on almost every aspect of our life. When installed and used properly, electricity and household appliances using electricity are safe and reliable. However, if not used properly, electricity can be incredibly dangerous.

Given the risks associated with dealing with electrical systems, it’s incredibly important that you never take on DIY projects that involve electricity unless you have the necessary training and experience. Additionally, there are a few things you should keep in mind to help avoid the risks associated with electrical hazards. Today we’ll talk about some common risks and easy ways to avoid them.

Turn Off the Power to Avoid Electrical Shock

Any time you have a project involving an electrical circuit, it’s best to leave it to a professional. Dealing with large amounts of voltage presents a very real risk of having an electrical shock. Unfortunately, when you receive an electrical shock, the charge flows through your body.

As a result, if it’s powerful enough to cause serious energy or even death. To avoid this danger, make sure you turn off power any time you’re dealing with any electrical components and always work with a trained professional when doing projects involving your electrical panel.

The Dangers of Electrical Burns

Electrical burns occur when your skin comes into contact with an electrical current. Often these look like a regular burn, and the burn itself can be treated in the same way that you would treat a standard burn. However, the concern with electrical burns is that the electrical current may have done internal damage beyond what is seen on the surface. It can be hard to immediately detect this type of damage.

As a result, if you sustain an electrical burn, it’s always a good idea to seek medical attention. You can avoid this type of energy by turning off the electricity to any appliances, outlets or wires that you are working with.

Unplug Appliances to Make Your Home a Little Safer

As you contemplate electrical hazards throughout your home, one concern is often electrical fires. The best way to avoid this risk is by ensuring that all of your wiring is done correctly, that all extension cords are used correctly and that outlets are not overloaded.

An additional easy way to avoid this risk is by unplugging appliances when you’re not using them. If appliances are plugged in, they’re still receiving electrical currents even when you’re not using them. This presents the risk of them overheating and starting an electrical fire. By simply unplugging appliances when you’re not using them, you can effectively avoid this risk.

We hope that you’ll always be careful when dealing with electricity in your home. And, if you need any electrical work or have any problems with your home’s electrical systems, let our licensed electricians handle it. Call Trustworthy Electric today at (334) 215-1782 with any electrical issues.