faulty wiring

Beware These Three Common Electrical Hazards

Watch Out for These Common Electrical Hazards

Almost all homeowners and their families rely on their electrical systems nearly every day. As such, it would seem to make sense that they should have a basic understanding of potential safety hazards to look out for, but many do not, which can be a real danger. There are a number of potential dangers that can arise, especially due to the intricacies of home electrical systems.

Not only will having this knowledge allow homeowners to ensure the safety of themselves and their families, but it will also allow homeowners to avoid potentially costly electrical mishaps. The three main hazards that homeowners need to watch out for are overloaded power strips, old or faulty wiring, and mismatched lightbulbs. Continue reading for a thorough overview of each.

Overloaded Power Strips

overloaded power strip

Overloaded power strips can wreak havoc on electrical systems. What does this even mean, in the first place? Well, overloaded power strips are just as they sound - power strips that have too much stress put on them. Think of this as having a basic power strip with five different appliances plugged into it, each of which demands a high amount of electricity.

This can put excess strain on the strip and lead to hazardous malfunctions. For one, the probability of fire goes way up when a power strip is overloaded, which of course, will put homeowners and their families in danger. Even if a fire doesn’t start, the energy can lead to overheating that may melt any plastic on or around thr power strip. Neither of these outcomes is ideal or safe, so homeowners should avoid putting too much stress on any single power strip.

Old or Faulty Wiring

Electrical wiring is another potentially problematic area. Electrical systems consist of intricate wiring that facilitates the movement of electricity. It is of utmost importance that this wiring is properly working and as up-to-date as possible. Since most homes use electricity nearly every day, these wires are constantly working, so they can endure wear and tear.

Over time, there may be issues with the wiring insulation, pieces of wiring can get out of place, and there can be any number of other issues (let alone the possibility of faulty wiring in the first place). When these things happen, they create a real fire hazard as heat may not be properly under control. Melting can also occur, as was the case with overloaded power strips. The best way homeowners can avoid this is to have periodic professional electricians inspect their systems for any potential abnormalities.


Mismatched Lightbulbs

Mismatched lightbulbs are another hazard that may result when the wattage does not align with the bulb. The wattage and bulbs should align to ensure proper functioning - otherwise, there can be significant overheating that may put homeowners and their families at risk.

Similar to the two prior hazards described, mismatched lightbulbs can lead to melting and/or fires, neither of which homeowners probably want! The best way to avoid this is to check that the wattage aligns and, in the event of any uncertainty, for homeowners to seek the help of electrical professionals.

About Trustworthy Electric

Trustworthy Electric of Montgomery, AL has been providing quality electrical services since 1994. Founded upon the basic principle of trust, their team of skilled electricians believes in providing courteous, professional, expert services at affordable prices. Call them today for electrical help in Montgomery, AL!

electrical hazards

Tips for Avoiding Electrical Harm at Home

Electricity is a central part of our homes and lives. It’s a modern technology that we often take for granted but that has an impact on almost every aspect of our life. When installed and used properly, electricity and household appliances using electricity are safe and reliable. However, if not used properly, electricity can be incredibly dangerous.

Given the risks associated with dealing with electrical systems, it’s incredibly important that you never take on DIY projects that involve electricity unless you have the necessary training and experience. Additionally, there are a few things you should keep in mind to help avoid the risks associated with electrical hazards. Today we’ll talk about some common risks and easy ways to avoid them.

Turn Off the Power to Avoid Electrical Shock

Any time you have a project involving an electrical circuit, it’s best to leave it to a professional. Dealing with large amounts of voltage presents a very real risk of having an electrical shock. Unfortunately, when you receive an electrical shock, the charge flows through your body.

As a result, if it’s powerful enough to cause serious energy or even death. To avoid this danger, make sure you turn off power any time you’re dealing with any electrical components and always work with a trained professional when doing projects involving your electrical panel.

The Dangers of Electrical Burns

Electrical burns occur when your skin comes into contact with an electrical current. Often these look like a regular burn, and the burn itself can be treated in the same way that you would treat a standard burn. However, the concern with electrical burns is that the electrical current may have done internal damage beyond what is seen on the surface. It can be hard to immediately detect this type of damage.

As a result, if you sustain an electrical burn, it’s always a good idea to seek medical attention. You can avoid this type of energy by turning off the electricity to any appliances, outlets or wires that you are working with.

Unplug Appliances to Make Your Home a Little Safer

As you contemplate electrical hazards throughout your home, one concern is often electrical fires. The best way to avoid this risk is by ensuring that all of your wiring is done correctly, that all extension cords are used correctly and that outlets are not overloaded.

An additional easy way to avoid this risk is by unplugging appliances when you’re not using them. If appliances are plugged in, they’re still receiving electrical currents even when you’re not using them. This presents the risk of them overheating and starting an electrical fire. By simply unplugging appliances when you’re not using them, you can effectively avoid this risk.

We hope that you’ll always be careful when dealing with electricity in your home. And, if you need any electrical work or have any problems with your home’s electrical systems, let our licensed electricians handle it. Call Trustworthy Electric today at (334) 215-1782 with any electrical issues.