3 Tips To Ensure Electrical Safety
Electrical safety is now more critical than ever. With so many devices available, it is easy to forget the basics of over-plugging. Understanding how to use a home’s electrical system properly can help prevent electrical accidents and outages.
Unplug for Safety
Not all electrical appliances use the same amount of power. An electric toothbrush, for instance, is not going to use the same amount of energy as a laptop cable. Outlets with multiple plugs requiring high power can quickly overload the system. Balancing out electrical outlets with low and high-power gadgets can decrease the danger.
Unplugging is not always an option in every house. For homes with few electrical outlets, this may mean several appliances are attached to one outlet via a surge protector. While surge protectors are not necessarily dangerous, loading them up with plugs is never good. Leaving at least two plugs empty is recommended.
Before leaving a room, unplug any fully charged devices still using an outlet. This is especially helpful in older houses that have two-pronged outlets. Homeowners who unplug appliances when not in use will reduce the likelihood of an electrical accident while saving energy. Outlet repair is available for both new and old switches.
Pay Attention To the Wattage
Electrical power is measured in wattages. A single watts unit has a very low electrical flow, whereas 750 watts could potentially run a microwave. Regardless of how many watts an appliance has, it will still require a plug and outlet.
The correct wattage is a measurement used for electrical safety. If an appliance is running at maximum watts, this can increase the chances of a fire or electrical storm. Overloading an outlet with high-powered devices is risky in any room of the house.
Lamps and overhead light fixtures have a recommended wattage for the energy a wire can run. Most light fixtures handle 60 watts, but 100 watts may be necessary for complex lamps. A high wattage bulb may heat one of the sockets and increase the likelihood of melting wires. Since wattage has increased over time, many new outlets can handle more wattage.
Before plugging high-wattage appliances into new or old outlets, checking the light label can help. If the wattage exceeds 60 watts, do not leave the light running overnight. In houses that still use two-pronged outlets, using over 60 watts can be hazardous even for a short period.
High wattage lamps can cause wires to melt or spark. If a spark occurs, it is usually at the wire section closest to the wall. It can also spark if the lamp cord has a torn patch with exposed wire. This can easily lead to a fire if sparks occur, especially if nearby curtains or rugs.
DIY handiwork is a common way to fix household problems without spending money on a technician. While this may be possible for certain projects, electrical issues are serious and potentially dangerous, so they should only be handled by a professional electrician. Electrical hazards are commonplace in both household and commercial DIY projects.
All electrical problems are not solved using the same techniques and involve in-depth knowledge about voltage, current, wattages, etc. Without the right skills, it is easy to make a mistake. The risk of injury is high for those who are not professionally trained. Shock, fire, and electrocution are all potential dangers with electrical wiring. One electrical shortage and the risk of a house fire is greatly increased.
Electrical Warning Signs
Electrical shocks can occur when rubbing socks against a carpet in the winter. The static electricity created from friction will make a tiny zap that is small and expected, but electrical shocks that frequently happen during the warmer months may indicate a problem.
Feeling a shock when touching an appliance is a warning sign because a ground fault within the device is malfunctioning. Due to improper wiring, these shocks are not supposed to occur during any season.
Hot ceiling fixtures are another sign. Check the electricity around ceiling lights by feeling for warmth. Ceilings that are not well-insulated will overheat and may be considered a fire hazard. Switching to compact fluorescent lights can help solve this issue.
Flickering lights are often a sign of faulty light fixtures, but if the bulb has been changed and the light continues to flicker, an electrician should be called right away. This may indicate that the connections within the electrical wiring are loose.
Unusual smells can come from electrical systems that are no longer working properly. A burning odor is common for overloaded outlets. The electrical panel should be completely turned off if an outlet smells like smoke. It is not safe to continue using this switch until an electrician has had a chance to examine it. Burning smells can also be a sign of an electrical fire.
Trustworthy Electric has provided its neighbors in Montgomery, AL, and the surrounding areas with trusted solutions to all their electrical problems since 1994. Trustworthy Electric offers same-day service, upfront pricing, and a rewarding membership plan. Call them today for electrical services in Montgomery, AL.
Distribution Links +